Friday, July 19, 2013

Fast and Easy Scouting

Another great Nevada Buck
Rule #1 Don’t ever walk into a bedding area while either scouting or hunting. Above all else these areas are sacred. If you jump a big mule deer buck from his bed he will NEVER bed in that same spot again that season.

Before I ever enter a new area I want an aerial view of what I’m looking at. 20 years ago we had to rent planes to learn new areas ( very expensive). Today we have "Google Earth". If you don’t have "Google Earth" on your computer, stop right now and download it. It is probably the most priceless hunting tool (other than your gun or bow) in the world. I use it almost daily.
Here is what I’m looking for on Google:
#1 ROCKSMule deer love rocks. I’m always looking for rocky outcrops that are facing either north, northeast, or even east. These are prime bedding areas throughout the summer and fall months for the shade they provide. In addition these outcrops provide a multitude of escape routes. The further these rocky areas are from public access the better. Rocky outcrops are a big buck magnet. Remember we are hunting during the daylight hours and big bucks like to be bedded during those hours. The biggest bucks like to bed in the same spot all day, only standing up a couple of times to stretch their legs and then plop down again.
#2 "QUAKIE" THICKETS
Next I look for dark green patches of vegetation. These could indicate an Aspin thicket. Early in the season bucks seek Aspin thickets even more than the rocks. Most inexperienced hunters associate these "quakie" thickets with water. Nothing could be further from the truth. Rarely is there ever found standing water in an Aspin thicket. The bucks are drawn to these areas because the ground is cooler in a Aspin patch than under any other shade source. If you don’t believe me try it, put your hand on any other shaded ground and on the ground under an Aspin grove. You will be able to tell the difference and so can the bucks.
#3 WATER
After I have located suitable bedding areas I look for water. Slow moving or stagnant water is always best. I’m looking for springs, marshy ground, irrigation ditches, and even farming pivots. I’m looking for water sources that are within 2 to 3 miles of the bedding areas. Mule deer don’t go to water everyday, but at least once every three days for sure. The problem with hanging your hat on a watering hole is that the bigger bucks will often water at night. Not because of human pressure, but because they tend to avoid crowds.

Once I’ve located several likely spots and marked them on a map its time to grab my binoculars and let the rubber hit the road. I’m still not looking for deer. This time I’m looking for feed. In the northern ranges I’m looking for Redstem Ceanothus or Pachystima (Myrtle Boxwood). In more arid terrain I’m looking for Purshia Tridentata ( antelope bitterbrush).
Learn to recognize the preferred food sources in your hunting area. Being able to distinguish these at a great distance will increase your odds tremendously. If you find a secluded area with rocks, redstem, and yellow pine, you’ll find big deer in the northern Rockies. Likewise with bitterbrush in the desert. You don’t have to get any closer, the buck will be there. Find a high ridge and glass from a distance. Be careful to avoid the skyline as the bucks will see you from miles away. Be patient, the idea is to intercept the deer between bedding and feeding areas. Lean towards the feeding areas as the buck will return there if disturbed, but he will NEVER return to a bed once disturbed there. ( Rule #1)
Good Luck and Good Hunting,
Jim

1 comment:

  1. Google Earth...just discovered how damn useful that tool is this year. Every evening before a good Muley hunt I scour my hunting area via Google Earth. I even print off select maps of the area that I have zoomed-in and put them in my pack. Compare those with a FS map or GPS and you got a pretty slick combo.

    ReplyDelete